Sunday, May 27, 2018

On This U.S. Memorial Weekend, Here Are 10 Of America's Hidden Battlefields



Popular Mechanics: 10 of America's Hidden Battlefields

The armed history of the United States can be found in some unexpected places.

There are scores of battles in American history, large and small, that unfolded in unlikely places that even locals may not know about. A savvy visitor can catch a glimpse of this past if they are armed with the right knowledge. This Memorial Day, take a moment to reflect on some of the forgotten battles in this nation’s history.

Read more ....

WNU Editor: I love this type of history. Where I live on the Island of Montreal I am not too far away from where the Lachine Massacre had occurred. My parents country home/dacha (which first belonged to my grand-parents on my mother's side) is west of Moscow and it is where the German Army was stopped in their advance on Moscow during the Second World War (my mother, grand parents, aunts and uncle lived in a cave that winter and they saw from a distance the carnage that the Germans were inflicting on the Soviet military). Their home was also occupied and used by the Germans as their HQ in planning their final assault on Moscow .... which fortunately did not happen. And then there is my condo just a few blocks away from Red Square .... there is a lot of history there.

1 comment:

War News Updates Editor said...

Lori,
My mother said the battles raged throughout the winter. But what was worse was when spring arrived, the snow melted, and the fields exposed the decaying bodies that were littered everywhere.