Saturday, October 30, 2010

Are Returning Soldiers Naturally Inclined To Be Thrill Seekers?

Army Studies Thrill-Seeking Behavior -- New York Times

WASHINGTON — Senior Airman Michael Kearns had been back from Iraq for only two months when he was pulled over on a Florida highway for going more than 120 miles per hour on his new Suzuki. He knew his motorcycle riding was reckless, but after living through daily mortar attacks on his base in Iraq, he said he needed the adrenaline rush.

“When you get here, there’s nothing that’s very exciting that keeps your pulse going,” Airman Kearns, 27, said in a recent interview.

Read more ....

My Comment: Duhhh .... of course the Army study will find soldiers taking unnecessary risks when they leave the war zone and return home. My father was in the Soviet Army during the Second World War (4 years on the front), and growing up with him was quite an experience. It was only later (as an adult), that I realized how reckless his behavior was at times. Deserting the Soviet Army at the end of the Second World War and escaping to the West (risky, but fortunately for me it worked out), heavy drinking and driving, reckless business decisions (which also fortunately worked out), doing unnecessary work that was dangerous, and finally making a decision to join the Foreign Legion because he was bored with his life (he changed his mind at the recruitment door).

Sighhh .... and while this was my dad, his war buddies were even worse. My Godfather committed suicide while playing Russian roulette, others who were killed in reckless car crashes, alcoholism, crime, etc. etc. etc.

Is there a way to temper the emotions and drive that many of our soldiers have when they return home .... I have my doubts that the Army will find a solution when I think of my own experiences, but I certainly wish the Army luck.

No comments: